CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Mother Dearest

I saw this Mom today. Well, not this Mom, but someone with a stunning resemblance. She had the same crunched up monster face. Her eyebrows burrowing into her skin, mouth wide and finger pointed as shown.

Her total at the register came to $334.65. I remember this because she said it repeatedly, and loudly. All to a small girl no higher than my waist. And I quote "$334.65 because you just had to have your fruit roll-ups!"

I don't buy fruit roll-ups. Maybe it's because I can't afford them, but I have a feeling that's not the case.

And as I stood there waiting for her to finish swiping her card and yelling at her child over her poor choices, I couldn't help but flash forward and pray. Not only that I never have a Target bill that comes to hundreds or dollars worth of fruit roll-ups...but also that I never become this yelling, monster of a Mother. I'm sure she's not a bad person. In fact, she's probably a wonderful mother. She obviously has flaws and there's no way I can throw stones at her if I stop and think about the way I react some days. However, if I'm going to flip out at Kamea one day I at least want it to be over something valid. She could have said no to the demands of a whining 4yr old. She also could have said no to the pile of womens clothing in her basket. Priorities. I pray I have them. And patience. And self-control. Honestly, I was humiliated for her. Which made me humiliated for myself in the future.

I smiled at the girl as her mom finished making her purchase in the hope she would feel a little bit better about herself in that moment. And I looked at Kamea, kissed her little barefeet and laughed to myself.

Motherhood is going to be quite the ride. I hope I choose to make it a fun one.

0 comments: